Monday, December 14, 2015

An Open Letter to a Dear Friend #2

Lexie,

I have a big, dumb, goofy smile on my face as I write this thinking of you.  5,000 miles away and I can still feel your goodness.  

I love so much about who you are and what you stand for, but I will remain focused in one realm for this letter.


















We initially had a conversation at Bonnaroo, and have since had several others, on the importance of caring and loving yourself.  You discussed some of your daily practices, one of which was actively reminding yourself of your beauty, of your heart and of your goodness - not only during times of unrest, but as daily routine.

This was not something I did, but I liked it and saw value in the practice.

It made me think of the scene from “The Help,” where Aibileen is speaking to the little girl.  

“You is kind.  You is smart.  You is important.”

We all yearn to be better versions of ourselves, and it is easy to become frustrated and discouraged that we are not yet there.  A daily moment to express appreciation for who and what we are to ourselves is a rejuvenating and worthwhile practice.  Since beginning to do this, my mood and my overall well-being have improved dramatically.  

From your teachings have come a number of lessons that make up a large piece of chapter 3, The Physical Self, of the book I am writing.  Should you read the book, you and all others that know you, will see your influence loud and clear. 

Cheers to the woman who taught me a valuable practice - to love and care for myself each and every day.  

You breathe warmth and positive energy into every person you meet.  Our group is healthier, loves deeper and smiles bigger because of you.  We need you, and we love you.

Alex
$.50 Philosophy

Upcoming Posts:
"Letter to my Future Wife"

"Merry Christmas, USA"

'La Familia"

"Fear"

"Tapas"

No comments:

Post a Comment